Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Service Engine Soon Light! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ez4u2say

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 19 2004 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote ez4u2say

No didnt think to ask. I picked it up today and expect it to do it again soon.

Chirp

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Nov 26 2004 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Chirp

Hey everyone with the check engine light, I had the same problem and they finally figured it out. There is a valve in the back near the drivers side wheel that is inline with the fuel line. This valve has an O ring that was cracked and letting air into the line, just like a loose fuel cap! They fixed it and no more problems, I was pretty worried too.
Back to Top View Chirp's Profile Search for other posts by Chirp

tjjtande

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jan 05 2005 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote tjjtande

I'll have the dealer check this when I go in, as far as the loose cap, my buddy has a 2003 Chevy CC and his did the same thing when his fuel cap was loose, but his light went out instantaneously after tightening the gas cap, don't know why Nissan thinks it should take  2 or 3 days,  driving trips to accomplish the same thing!!!!! My light came on after driving in frezzing rain, when I tried to gas up took around 15 minutes to fill the truck, think the 2 are related, venting problems, My gas cap wasn't loose, always click the cap at least 3 times since I had the same thing happen when I had my Chevy!!!!!???

Back to Top View tjjtande's Profile Search for other posts by tjjtande

valentine

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote valentine

Well evryone.  Got the Titan on January 28,2005.  This morning with 1,180 miles on the odometer the majic "Service Engine Light" came on!  This is bull with having the fuel cap in the sensor loop is a dum idea.  Fuel pressure in the tank expands and contracts with outside temperature and weather conditions. 

Keep you posted as to the out come of this.  Have to drop the Titanic over to the Nissan dealer.

Back to Top View valentine's Profile Search for other posts by valentine

redlight

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote redlight

This is caused by the OBDII emisions control system that is mandatory on all new vehicles since about '94 or 96' (I think).The computer turns on the service engine light when it gets a bogus reading fron the evap canister sensor.The evap canister takes any evaporated gas from the gas tank and introduces into the intake charge to increase fuel mileage and cut down on gas fumes escaping into the atmosphere.So any new vehicle should do the same thing if the fuel cap was not tightened , not just the Titan.

I think this is correct but I'm not sure , if anyone else knows for sure feel free to correct me after all I'm not an automotive mechanic , but I did stay at The Holiday Inn Express last night

cjstang

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote cjstang

redlight - you right! This is an OBD II 'feature', which is 3-4 years old IIRC (replacing, what else, OBD I). One nice thing about these diagnostic systems is that many (all?) of the functions, and the diag connector are the same across all vehicles. BTW, my wife's car has had this code twice - 1st time we replaced the gas cap ($20 at the dealer, can you imagine, just $20! - at a dealer?). Both times the tech asked if I had gas'd her up with the engine running (which I never do, and the wife better not!) - he said the system checks for this condition every so often (minutes?) and if the cap had been open - viola!

Also, reading posts about the delay in acceleration vs application of throttle, I'd guess this is a symptom of the 'throttle-by-wire' system - i.e. the computer determines for you what you REALLY meant and then takes action (when IT decides of course). On the wife's ride, its advertised as a 'Full-control' throttle, (the fact that its adv as such obviously means they knew of the potential consequences otherwise!), meaning that the computer does what you ask regardless of what the computer THINKS you meant - what a concept! And it works, over-indulge in the throttle at low RPM and you'll get a little bog - back off a bit and it gains acceleration (curious, does that happen on a Titan? - of course might be a little more difficult with all that torque , or it might downshift - if the computer thinks that the right thing to do of course; the car is a std). I quess many manufacturers figure they can program a computer better than their owners can drive . Hopefully you'll find that Nissan can correct this with a little re-programming of that omnipetent computer. . .

Back to Top View cjstang's Profile Search for other posts by cjstang

redlight

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote redlight

Thanks for the info cj!!

Now I can show my wife that I am capable of learning new things

By the way my Titan does seem to accelerate better at about 3/4 throttle compaired to full throttle , anyone else notice this?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version