Nissan Titan Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Frontier Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Titan Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: Brake Issues Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
scooter
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 18 2005 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote scooter

GOOD NEWS! I won my arbitration hearing against Nissan. As of today they have to repurchase my truck. It has been a long hard road but it's finally over. It's just a shame because Nissan is still trying to say that the trucks are safe and that the brake problem isn't a safety issue. I wish all you guys the best with your trucks. If anyone ever has to go to arbitration against Nissan, my advice is... over prepare for your case and gather as much info as possible. It still kills me because I loved my truck and it will still be sad to se it go or at least until I get that new G35 coupe in my garage. I think I'll get over it pretty quick. Good luck!

Scooter

XXX_Titan

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 20 2005 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote XXX_Titan

Ok, I dont want to talk about to many things that I know about internal nissan stuff, but I have friends here in MI. He has an '04 LE and is a direct employee of Nissan. He has not had one problem at all in reguards to the issues you all have listed. He drives in Detroit traffic every day. So I might think some of it does have to to with driving tendancies.

BUT, being in the automotive industry myself (engineer @ a supplier) we all know never to buy the 1st year of a vehicle by any automotive producer. Especially a brand new platform. This is why I have waited one year to get my Titan. Now knowing that most all of the many (trust me there was alot) quality issues are now gone and that Nissan has changed the front rotor issues on the 05's, I feel completely confident to purchase a Titan. I do feel for some of you, but as one of you stated, your vehicle was built 11/03. That was truly bad luck. Should have waited 6 months. I know with a new model, people are all like "Hey, look at me, I got the new BAD A$$ truck and no one else does". You are just really asking for it by not being patient.

Since I know how actual ramp ups work for new vehicles, they are constantly having Engineering changes for a couple years. They are crazy, sometimes a couple per day for a year straight. No that this was Nissan's issues, but every manufacture goes throu these problems.

These titans are awesome. I love them. I would never consider any other 1/2ton vehicle. And I live in Michigan where the "Former" Big 3 is the predominate force.
Back to Top View XXX_Titan's Profile Search for other posts by XXX_Titan

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 23 2005 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote tda3

Thanks for the input XXX_Titan and welcome to the forum!  I hear what you’re saying, but I’m not sure I completely agree with the waiting thing.  Although I’m an engineer with an aircraft company, I too know all about engineering changes and new model introductions.  And I can tell you for a fact that after 12 years of production on one of our models, we’re still making changes and finding problems here & there.  But I understand what you’re saying that there are more issues at the introduction of a model than later on – so point taken.

I also want to chime in about this brake issue and voice an opinion/observation.  While I respect the perspective of those of you who feel unsafe in your Titan, I’ve yet to see any evidence that the brakes are truly unsafe.  As an engineer, for a braking system to be truly unsafe, it would have to be shown that the system had consistent failures that resulted in failures to stop, damage, or (God forbid ) bodily harm.  I don’t see this.  All anyone ever talks about is brake judder and soft pedals.  I’ve never seen a post that said they jumped on the brakes, nothing happened and they crashed.

Now before some of you start flaming, let me state that I am completely on your side when it comes to your feeling of safety.  If you don’t feel your Titan or Acura or Chevy or whatever is going to keep your family safe – get rid of it.  However, trying to use the issue of brake judder to prove to others that the Titan’s brakes are unsafe is bogus IMHO.

As I’ve stated in other threads, I’ve had several cars and a couple of trucks in my 35+ years of driving that have had warped rotors.  Is it a PITA?  Absolutely!  However, an irritating problem does not an unsafe vehicle make.  And at the risk of sounding like I’m defending Nissan, one needs to be a bit cautious about making statements in a public forum that insinuates that a company’s products are unsafe.  If those statements are just opinions – that’s cool.  But profess them as truths without facts or empirical data and you’re asking for some hot water IMO.

And for the record, I think Nissan has design problems with regards to their brakes and other items.  But just as we here have design problems with our aircraft, these design issues don’t make the product unsafe.  Like many of you here, I have brake judder along with rearend troubles.  However, I wouldn’t hesitate putting my family in the truck and heading to Disney World this very minute.  As always, YMMV.

Tom

Cronus
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Titan Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 23 2005 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Cronus

tda3,

I believe as you beileve and wanted to thank you for your informative and uncompromising post. We all agree the brake jitter issue is one that absolutely needs to be addressed. I think you touch on a very interesting point though, out of all the complaints about the jitter, I haven't seen much about people crashing or even almost crashing as a result of the brake jitter. That's not to say that if it continues it may develope into a safety issue, but it should be considered a sign to have the problem resolved early to avoid such faults in the future. I developed the brake jitters shortly after 10,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and they did what they did. Its fine now. Never did the brakes fail me. They just gave everyone a massage.
With the exception of a couple of us that came across a bad Titan or two, I get the impression that we all love this truck and would still proudly choose it over any other comperable truck out there.

I know I do!

My Titan @ SLLAR.com
Back to Top View Cronus's Profile Search for other posts by Cronus Visit Cronus's Homepage

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 24 2005 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote tda3

Oh c'mon Cronus.....you're only agreeing with me 'cause our trucks are the same color.

Seriously though, I appreciate the kind words.

My hope is that folks that read my post won't feel like I'm pointing fingers or trying to diminish their concerns/issues/opinions or whatever.  My intent was to try and bring some balance to the discussion in a positive way and let folks know that although I might be inclined to stick it out with regards to my brake issues, that I absolutely, positively respect their decision to sell/trade/whatever their truck.  Now, if they go and buy a Ford/Chevy/Dodge.....then an ass-whoopin' might be in order!   Just kiddin', just kiddin'.

Tom

XXX_Titan

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 24 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote XXX_Titan

Well said tda3, well said.    
Back to Top View XXX_Titan's Profile Search for other posts by XXX_Titan

scooter
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 24 2005 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote scooter

I miss my Titan, and it kills me that I had all the problems. However my biggest issue was the the lack of customer service/ lack of concern to my situation. And the only option that was given to me by Nissan was to take them to arbitration. I truly hope they get the issues worked out down the road because I still believe that Nissan  makes the Badest A$$ truck on the market. Who knows down the road I may own anotherone. I am a Nissan loyalist, my wife drives an xterra and I have had 8 other Nissan and always had great service, hence the choice to go with the Infiniti G Coupe. I hear that there customer service is the best and they come with a 6 year 70,000 BTB Warranty. You guys hang in there I'm sure they will get it right eventually, unfortunately I couldn't take the chance of down the road on losing thousands on a trade if they didn't.

tda3
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 25 2005 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote tda3

That's cool scooter.  Listen, there's many of us in the same boat you were in.  And I completely understand where you're coming from.  I'm the kinda person that will work with someone all day long as long as they're willing to do the same.  My dealer is very empathetic towards my issues.  Truth be known - it probably helps that my serive writer (did I ever mention she's cute?) owns a Titan with similar issues.  So for me, as long as my dealer keeps working diligently to resolve my problems, I'll hang in there.

Not to preach, but I feel there's many of us (me included from time-to-time) that need to remember that we get more flies with honey than vinegar.  Our trucks are special to us and we've paid a lot of money for it.  We want it to be right and if it's not, by God we want someone to make it right!  So it's almost natural for us to sometimes show up at a dealership with a bit of a chip on our shoulder.  A reasonable person - that would be ALL of us here - would remind themselves that bum-rushing the service writer will not be a value-added move towards a positive outcome.  Afterall, they didn't build the vehicle.  Kill 'em with kindness I say, but only up to the point where you know for a fact that their attitude is because of THEM and not you.  Hell, the shop guys at my mo'sickle dealer have gotten a 12 pack of beer at closing time on a Friday from me for NO REASON other than I like to hang out with them and they do right by me.  Do they treat me better?  Maybe.  I know they treat me better than the guy that just goes off on them without giving them a chance or the benefit of the doubt.  Anyhow....for those of you who have less than stellar dealerships, I wish you the best.

Oh - and scooter (if you're still here).....I know you'll beat me to Home Depot and back in your G35, but I bet I can carry more bales of pine straw and tow a bigger boat than you!  Nah, nah, na-nah, nah.

Tom  

scooter
Groupie
Groupie

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 25 2005 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote scooter

Good one Tom. It's funny you mention the dealership thing. I happen to be a GM of a Motorcycle Dealership in Birmingham. I couldn't agree more with approaching the dealer with kindness and understanding. God knows I have to deal with my share of A$$ H@L#S that act as is if there is a team of little elves who manufactered thier bikes in a little building out back. I have nothing to say but kind words for my dealership. they were empathetic and probably shared more info about the brake issues than they should have, my problem was with the robots at Nissan corporate and their cookie cutter responses to every problem I had. Anyway all you guys have been awsome and a BIG thanks to everyone who has made this site available. BTW It's not how much you can haul but how good you look on the way to you destination. LOL

take care guys I'm out-

Scott

shogun_316

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Mar 28 2005 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote shogun_316

I've got to thank all you guys.  I guess I was lucky, my brakes didn't start giving up on my 04 until 13K miles, but once it started it has gone downhill quick.  I was wondering how much it was going to cost me and it looks like Nissan is going to have to take care of me.
Back to Top View shogun_316's Profile Search for other posts by shogun_316

<< Prev Page of 26 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version